The past few weeks have been jam packed with academics and post-grad job hunting, so I’ve had little time to play around with technology. This week, in a few hours of time, I deployed IPv6 in my school research lab, the research lab webcam, and my colocated server (this blog). My domain name, compbrain.net, now has both an A record and an AAAA record. I’ve noticed that machines with 6to4 IPv6 addresses tend to pick the IPv4 A record over the IPv6 alternative when both records are available.
Thanks to Hurricane Electric’s IPv6 Tunnel Broker, setting up these IPv6 networks was fairly painless. The only real exception here was in my dorm room, as our residential network filters inbound ICMP (inbound anything from the public net really) and prevents Hurricane Electric from allowing a tunnel to be created. To work around that, i’m using 6to4 on my DD-WRT powered WRT310N. The DD-WRT docs have a decent writeup on 6to4 available here.